Search engine optimization is a daunting task!
You need to know what keyword phrases your customers or viewers are typing into search engines and create content that will rank highly for those keyword searches. One of the best ways to do keyword research is by using keyword research tools.
In this blog post, we will discuss the 9 most essential keyword research tools you can use today including free and paid!
Let’s get started.
1.Google Keyword Planner
The Google Keyword Planner is one of the best and free tools offered by Google that allows you to see what people are looking for when they search Google. To use this tool, all you have to do is sign in and type certain keywords into the search bar (ex: SEO). Google will then show you several keyword ideas based on your research.
Google Keyword Planner also shows you the volume of monthly searches for each keyword. This is an essential piece of information because you will need to know how often people are searching google for your topic in order to determine what keywords are relevant and high volume, which can then help you create content that ranks highly on google search engine page.
Google Keyword Planner has a variety of other tools including:
Finding related keywords
- Tracking new keyword ideas as they appear over time/in real time with the Trends tool (a great way to find seasonal trends)
- Getting traffic estimates based on location or language
- The Google Keyword planner offers something incredibly unique when it comes to SEO research – the ability to see not only exact match data but also broad match.
With so many advantages Google Keyword also have a few drawbacks such as
- It only offers a small amount of search volume data, which means you will need to use multiple tools for accurate results.
- Another drawback is that google keyword planner has become so popular over time and many people are now using the tool as it provides great information on keywords they can target when creating content. This makes it hard for new users to get accurate estimates because there’s already high demand from competitors trying to rank themselves on google.
One last thing I want to mention about google keyword planner is that if you have an AdWords account then this tool comes free.
GrowthBar is another great tool that you can use to find keywords that are relevant and have a high volume of searches. GrowthBar will show you the estimated monthly traffic for each keyword as well.
One unique feature GrowthBar offers is its user interface which allows you to see both an exact match graph (showing data based on “exact” matches) as well as a phrase match graph (showing data based on “phrase” matches). This is a great feature because you can easily see which keywords have the highest traffic as well as what kind of search terms people are using.
GrowthBar also has filter settings that allow you to see exactly how many searches each keyword gets per month, year, or all time.
Important Additional feature
- Tracking of keyword ranking
- It shows the accurate SEO difficulty
- Suggestions for long-tail keywords
While GrowthBar is one of our favorite tools, there are some drawbacks you should be aware of
- GrowthBar is not offered in an app format, so it can only be used on a desktop computer or laptop.
- GrowthBar also doesn’t show exact match volume data (volume based on “exact” matches).
- GrowthBar has ads that pop up when using the tool which can get annoying.
- Some users might find GrowthBar to be a little pricey.
3. Ahrefs Keyword Explorer
Ahref Keyword generator is one of the most popular keyword explorers among bloggers and marketers. Ahrefs uses its own index of search volume to give you the most accurate data possible. You don’t have to worry about Google or any other company taking over your keyword research because Ahrefs has a large database that continues to grow each day as they keep track of new keywords and relevant long-tail variations.
Which is another great feature Ahrefs provides. Ahref allows you to track your own keywords as well as see the progress of popular competitors over a period of time, which can be very useful when it comes to creating content that is going to compete with these other pages on the google search results page.
Ahreaf offers an app for both iOS and Android devices so you don’t have to worry about using a computer or laptop. Ahrefs also offers a browser extension that gives you the ability to see keyword data for any keyword.
With so many advantages Ahrefs Keyword Explorer also has a few drawbacks such as
- Ahrefs Keyword explorer only shows the volume of search for exact match keywords which means you will need to use another tool if you want data based on broad or phrase matches.
- Ahrefs free version doesn’t provide any keyword difficulty scores either, so it is hard to determine how competitive a certain keyword might be when trying to rank your content in google
- Ahrefs Keyword explorer is a free tool, however, free tools enable limited features. So you have to purchase premiums plans to enable extra features
4. Long Tail Pro
Long Tail Pro is a very popular keyword research tool among marketers and bloggers. Long Tail Pro offers many great features including the ability to generate long-tail keywords, track your ranking progress, compare yourself against competitors in google search results pages, find low competition keywords that are easier to rank for as well as high volume ones that have higher traffic potential.
Long-tail Pro has an app for both iOS and Android devices which makes Long Tail Pro one of the most convenient tools that you can use. Long Tail Pro also offers a browser extension, but it only works with Google Chrome browsers.
Here are few Long-tail pro drawbacks
- Long Tail Pro is a paid tool which means you have to spend more money for Long Tail Pro premium plans.
- Long Tail Pro doesn’t show exact or broad match volume data, Long-tail Pro only shows phrase matches and even then it isn’t very accurate because the search results displayed are not always correct.
- Longtail pro comes in three different packages including premium, professional, and enterprise; however, all these plans are pretty expensive.
AnsweThePublic is popular keyword searching tool when it comes to searching long-tail keywords
AnswerThePublic is a great tool for marketers and bloggers because it offers many benefits including the ability to see keywords in context so you can easily find out if they are relevant or not.
AnswerThePublic gives users the chance to learn more about their target audience by learning what common questions your customers might be asking. Which means AnswerThePublic can help you to connect with your audience and potential customers more.
AnswerThePublic also helps users find the most popular keywords in a niche which means it’s another great keyword research tool because it allows marketers and bloggers to get creative when they try to create content that is going to compete for these high-volume terms on google search results pages.
With so many advantages, AnswerThePublic also has few drawbacks such as
- It doesn’t show broad or exact search volume data meaning that marketers and bloggers have very limited information to work with when they are trying to compare their niche with other niches.
- AnswerThePublic doesn’t show keyword difficulty scores either, which means AnswerThePublic is not very useful for SEO purposes.
- It also doesn’t show volume
UberSuggest is another great tool that marketers and bloggers can use to search long-tail keywords .
Ubersuggest is a free (limited three searches per day) SEO tool that allows users the chance to generate unlimited keyword ideas which means it’s an incredibly helpful resource for people who are trying to find new blog post topics or content marketing strategies. Ubersuggest also offers many other great features such as the ability to see the search volume and CPC for a keyword, as well as seeing related keywords which can help marketers and bloggers create their own content.
Although Ubersuggest is a very useful tool, it also has some drawbacks such as
- Ubersuggest is a free tool (limited searches per day), but the only way to see search volume and CPC data for a keyword is if you upgrade your account which costs money.
- The related keywords that are displayed by Ubersuggest might not be very accurate because it just shows words from additional sources without confirming whether or not they have been used as related terms
- Ubersuggest isn’t available in an app form either, meaning that marketers and bloggers who want to use UberSuggest need to do it through their web browsers instead!
SEMrush is another popular tool that marketers and bloggers can use to find long-tail keywords. SEMrush is a competitive keyword research tool which means it’s easy for people in any niche or market to gain access to this useful resource.
SEMrush has so many great benefits to offer users. SEMrush offers marketers and bloggers the chance to do keyword research, optimize their website for search engines, discover new keywords that are being used on Google search results pages, compare their website with other websites, and much more!
- SEMrush is a paid tool which means SEMrush can be really expensive for people who are just starting out with SEO and content marketing.
- SEMrush also uses broad search volume data which means SEMrush is not very helpful for SEO purposes.
- SEMrush also doesn’t show competitor website keywords which makes it hard to see what your competitors are doing and how you can make their strategies work better for your own business!
8. Majestic SEO
Majestic SEO is a good tool for Keyword research and helps you find low-competition keywords for your website. The tool also checks the competition of your keywords by providing a backlink analysis. It does this by showing the number of linking domains and the PageRank of the linking sites. Majestic also provides historical data on ranking positions, indexation, and search visibility for any given keyword from Google’s cache from several different countries.
- Majestic SEO has a few drawbacks such as
- It’s expensive, but there is a trial version.
- It might be too complex for beginners
- Data providers sometimes provide incorrect data via their API for developers and large corporations.
- The report does not provide a precise score.
KWFinder is an advanced keyword research tool that has the ability to do reverse engineering. KWFinder enables you to find keywords that are successful for your competition or will be popular in the future. You can also find the keywords with the least competition.
KWFinder’s features include Keyword Research, Keyword Analysis, Keyword Competition Tester, and Long Tail Pro Import.
Drawbacks of KWFinder
KWFinder does have a few drawbacks such as
- The trial period is overly limited.
- There’s no integration with Google Analytics or Search Console.
- Limit the number of keyword suggestions you get.
There are a lot of tools out there that can help you to find the best keywords. We hope this list helps narrow down your search and makes finding a tool easier for you! Whether it’s keyword research, SEO audits, or PPC management we have the right solution for every company size. You should try these 9 Keyword researching tools today!